High Court backs approval for two travellers’ caravans in a Mays Lane paddock once used for grazing horses

1 May 2026
Written by Nick Jones
High Court rejects attempt by Barnet Council to halt the go ahead for a site for two travellers' caravans on a paddock in Mays Lane Green Belt

Barnet Council’s attempt to halt the go ahead for a travellers’ caravan site on a field in Green Belt land off Mays Lane has failed in the High Court to the disappointment of a local residents’ group.

Gina Theodorou, chair of the Quinta Village Green Residents’ Association, said that despite the setback they were determined to continue their fight to protect the Green Belt along Mays Lane.

Failure by the council to secure a full judicial review of a planning inspector’s decision in favour of the travellers site means that work installing hard standing can now go ahead in a two-acre paddock – see above – which was previously used for grazing horses.

Space has been approved for two static caravans, two mobile homes and two day rooms to be occupied by two traveller families.

The application was made by brothers Patrick and J Casey.

A refusal by the council to grant approval led to a lengthy planning inquiry last year when the inspector decided that the “very special circumstances” of the two families outweighed any harm to the Green Belt.

This ruling was challenged by the council on the grounds that the inspector’s conclusion was factually flawed because of his conclusion that a go ahead for the site was in the best interests of the “seven young children” involved.

In its challenge, the council argued that the evidence showed that in fact only four or five children would live on the site.

After a two-hour hearing – which Ms Theodorou attended – the High Court accepted that while there was a factual error in the inspector’s decision it did not materially affect the outcome of whether to allow the site on Green Belt land. Development could now proceed.

“We are disappointed because although this decision affects only one site, it means that once the land is developed it undermines the protection for our local green spaces,” said Ms Theodorou.

“There could now be future proposals for travellers’ sites on Green Belt land on both sides of the paddock and this approval would make it easier to justify.

“But that is how the Green Belt is gradually eroded.

“Our focus now has to be to focus on the bigger picture – to protect what remains of our Green Belt along Mays Lane and to ensure that our local green spaces are managed in a way that benefits both the environment and the community.”   

4 thoughts on “High Court backs approval for two travellers’ caravans in a Mays Lane paddock once used for grazing horses

  1. One hard standing here, two caravans there… soon we will have an entire gypsy community on or doorsteps in Barnet.

    I hope on Thursday, Chipping Barnet residents would remember who fought against this disgraceful decision.

    1. See this from BBC for example. Four acres of traveller site built over one weekend with 30 lorries dumping stuff overnight. Once you open the door, this is where you end up:

      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4g734lk1pdo

  2. Planning decisions in Barnet seem so random. This one makes no sense.

  3. Disgraceful. Why can’t they live in a house insteas of destroying an open space. Who will control how many travellers willl actually move in?

Write Your Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *