People wishing to comment have until mid-February to offer their advice online via the consultation procedures at www.historicengland.org.uk or by post.
The East Barnet memorial is an impressive tall Celtic cross of Cornish granite, with the front and back faces of the cross and shaft decorated in Celtic-style knot-work carvings.
It was supplied by the Bodmin Granite Company, and was delivered free of charge by rail from the quarry direct to New Barnet station in June 1920.
Canon Overton, rector of St Mary’s church, conducted the unveiling ceremony. His wife, Mrs F. A. Overton, had overseen the project with the help of the East Barnet War Memorial Committee, at a total cost of £285.13s.10d., raised by subscriptions and donations.
As a result of research by Catherine Loveday – whose father’s name (S.F. Chapman) was added to those who lost their lives in the Second World War – a second Second World War plaque was added to the memorial after it was revealed many more local servicemen had been killed. Around 500 people attended the rededication in 2010.
Originally the memorial was located in the middle of the junction of Church Hill Road and East Barnet Road, but when a roundabout was installed in 1970, it was moved to its current position in front of Brookside Methodist Church.
A final decision on whether the memorial should be listed will be taken by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.